This is a good batch cook to freeze half for a cold/busy day. And its a fairly low maintenance dinner to make when you’re not in the mood to keep stirring.
Ingredients (makes 4 portions, costs 95p portion)
- two onions finely chopped (40p)
- two cloves of garlic finely chopped (10p)
- one red pepper (30p) – mixed bag of 5 for £1.20 in morrisons
- medium aubergine (45p) – super cheap in aldi now!
- tin of chopped tomatoes (50p)
- tomato puree (10p)
- sesame seeds (10p)
- brown rice (£1)
Spices of choice for example:
- chilli (15p)
- ginger (5p)
- olive oil (20p)
- chilli flakes (10p)
- curry powder (10p)
- garam masala (10p)
- star anise (10p)
1. Rinse a portion of brown rice and start to simmer on a medium heat
2. Heat a tablespoon of oil over a medium heat and add the sliced onions and garlic. Chuck in the star anise if you’re using it.
3. Chop the pepper and aubergine into bite sized chunks
4. Add into the pan with softened onion and mix. Add in a tablespoon of tomato puree.
5. Add chopped chilli and spices to taste (usually about 1/2 teaspoon of each until the taste seems right)
6. Add chopped tomatoes and allow to simmer for 20ish minutes until the sauce has thickened (or until the rice has cooked)
7. Serve with rice and top with sesame seeds
8. When the curry sauce has cooled, portion into freezer bags and freeze until you need them.